Friday, February 3, 2012

Finding clarity among little bald heads and port scars



There are pros and cons to every job. Positives and negatives. Ups and downs. Good days and bad days. When you choose to dedicate your life to working with children with life-threatening illnesses, the highs and lows of the job are literally instances of life and death. So why would I choose to put myself through that emotional turmoil everyday? Because I feel called to help these kids.


Out of Tragedy Comes Clarity



After walking with the Strauss family through Gloria’s battle with cancer and subsequent ascension into Heaven, I lost a lot of things: my blind faith in God and my overall purpose in life, among them. But over time, tears washed the thick mud of grief and mourning away and clarity emerged: I knew what I wanted to do with my life.

As difficult as it was to watch Gloria in and the other kids on the hem/onc floor at Seattle Children’s Hospital battle these evil diseases, I felt myself pulled to them. I wanted to do something, anything to help. If I could make a child smile while they were getting chemo or recovering from surgery, it would be one more smile towards healing.

At Seattle University, I studied Nonprofit Management and tried to learn everything that I could about the ways that nonprofit organizations worked so that when I graduated, I would be ready to jump in and do some good. I volunteered with many different nonprofits, and was an intern with the American Cancer Society.

The American Cancer Society runs a summer camp called Camp Goodtimes for pediatric cancer patients, survivors, and their siblings every summer on Vashon Island. This is a camp that Gloria loved, and I wanted to go and volunteer the first summer after she died to honor her memory there. All of the staff members get a nickname, and I chose “Neon.” (Gloria’s nickname was “Glow” and I wanted something similar.) For a week I played games, went swimming, and had whipped cream fights with all of these kids who had either battled or were currently battling cancer (or were a sibling of a fighter). Additionally, a lot of the staff were former campers themselves, and it was amazing to hear their stories. It was an emotional week, as I got to hear stories about Gloria from her camp friends and former counselors. It was also special because Gloria’s younger sister, Maria, attended camp and I got to spend some quality time with her and her cabin. Even though I only attended camp for one session, I’m a member of the Goodtimes family for life. With the nature of the camp, unfortunately it is too common to hear of campers and staff who lose their battle with cancer. Although they are gone, they are never forgotten. The legacies of these and all others will live on at Camp Goodtimes forever: Gloria, Katie, Panda, Risa, Codi…

Panda
Risa

Katie


Walking the Talk

After graduation, I got a job in development at Woodland Park Zoo. I got to apply my fundraising skills and learn more about the ways in which the various departments within a nonprofit interact with each other. During my time at WPZ, I also began volunteering as a Wish Granter with the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This filled the space in my heart that ached to be filled by helping these extraordinary kids.

Being a Wish Granter has affirmed what Gloria’s situation made me realize: that I’m called to walk with kids with life-threatening illnesses. My two Wish Kids I’m working with now are amazing, beautiful, resilient spirits and I’m SO blessed to be able to make their wishes come true.

I can only hope and pray that a job opens soon and I can work full-time with Make-A-Wish or Seattle Children’s Hospital, as I know that is where I am called to be. For now, I will keep my magic wand in hand and sprinkle fairy dust over my Wish Kids, making their dreams come true and hopefully giving them an experience that will enhance their quality of life and give them memories to last a lifetime.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you! May God bless your calling and your heart as you listen for the next steps to follow His call.

    ReplyDelete